Associate Director of Public Relations
United Way of King County
This job was posted on:
$ 84,500 to $ 91,000
United Way of King County is a recognized leader in solving the community’s toughest challenges. We value creative, self-motivated people who care deeply about creating community solutions. Come join our Brand Management & Advertising Team as an Associate Director of Public Relations.
The Associate Director is responsible for identifying and developing effective stories, creating United Way buzz that supports our brand position as an unstoppable force to create a community where people have homes, students graduate and families are financially stable.
This position will be responsible for providing content to the communications and marketing teams, drafting communication materials such as talking points, scripts, Op-eds, Q&A’s and background papers for volunteers and staff, and analyzing policies, issues, and courses of action to determine implications and potential areas of concern. This position serves as company spokesperson and works closely with the Director of Communications and the Social Media Strategist.
- Produces talking points and scripts for staff and volunteers, including high-profile signature events, fundraising and other events, workplace campaigns, and campaign/board chair appearances.
- Uses traditional journalism techniques to uncover stories that chronicle United Way’s work and the people served to bring to life the United Way of King County value proposition through a range of mediums both written and video.
- Identifies and supports client speakers to share their story in person at events and/or with media.
- Creates stories and pitches ideas to broadcast and print contacts for editorial coverage, develops ideas for Op/Ed pieces and helps place them.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with key media contacts.
- Produces videos and web content in concert with the Social Media Strategist that create interest in United Way of King County.
- Acts as communication resource and content creator for media and United Way's internal and external customers, including staff, volunteers and community outreach groups.Identifies and cultivates positive relationships with key agency and funder contacts.
- Creates and implements media relations plan to support campaign and marketing messages.Manages publicity for special events.Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Advanced knowledge of journalism, communication theory, delivery systems, print and video production.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
- Proven ability to generate new content, write speeches and talking points for a variety of voices.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, editing, design, and art direction skills.
- Proven ability to strategically use social media platforms to advance organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple work requests and/or deadlines, and to prioritize work in an environment of changing requests for support.
- Demonstrated knowledge of racial disparities that impact and affect the community we serve.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, in Journalism, Creative Writing, Social Media, Advertising, Public Relations or related field. At least three years’ experience in public relations; media relations, or communications, 5 years’ experience preferred. The annual recruitment range is $ 84,500 to $ 91,000, depending on successful experience and prior accomplishments.
- United Way of King County is an exceptional workplace that can provide you with:
- Opportunity to work with smart, passionate and enthusiastic team members and volunteers
- Culture of high-performance expectations and accountabilityExciting and challenging work
- Opportunity to help solve the community's toughest problems
- Competitive pay that is commensurate with demonstrated successful performance and experience
- Many other benefits that we are happy to discuss with you
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.